Year 8 Design & Technology
Year 8 is based around 3 main topics, Electronics, Metal and Polymers. Within these areas a variety of practical and design skills are developed. Pupils will start to expand their knowledge and ability in Computer Aided Design & Manufacture as well.
Projects may vary from year to year but at the present we manufacture a flashing light electronics project; a metal hook project and a CAD CAM mobile phone holder. We may also produce small projects using a 3D printer and plotter, the former requiring 3D modelling skills.
Year 8 D&T Curriculum
Curriculum areas covered during this year are:
- Application of the Design Process to a polymer project.
- Design and manufacture using CAD & CAM processes
- Metal engineering workshop skills.
- Electronic manufacturing.
All students are assessed through a variety of assessment procedures and given a key stage grade using the National Curriculum levels. Full assessments are made after each project is completed.
Assessment procedures are:
- Work completed in booklets through Design, Making and Evaluating.
- Practical Outcomes are graded to the new GCSE grades of 1 to 9.
- Effort grades are also given.
For more information please go the DATA (Design & Technology Association) website at http://www.data.org.uk/ or contact Mr Kevin Gough.