Year 9 Design & Technology
At KSGS pupils experience Resistant Materials, wood metal and plastic, Computer Aided Design, Computer Aided Manufacture, Evaluation Techniques and Graphic skills. Each year follows a similar theme but develops a deeper understanding of this core knowledge and skills. Again skills developed during Year 9 include problem solving, creativity, independent learning, innovation, presentation, ICT and manufacturing skills. These skills and knowledge help develop an insight into the manufacturing of consumer products and the social and environmental impacts that design decisions have upon people.
Year 9 Curriculum For Design & Technology
- Problem solving.
- Manufacturing and launching a simple model boat.
- Precise manufacturing skills
- CAD & CAM design.
- 3D Printing.
- Working with Polymers, Metals and Timber.
All students are assessed through a variety of assessment procedures and given a key stage grade using the National Curriculum levels. Assessments are made after each project is completed.
Assessment procedures are:
- Work completed in booklets through a Design. Make and Evaluate criteria
- Practical Outcomes are assessed to GCSE standards using the new 1 to 9.
- Effort grades will also be given.
For more information please go the DATA (Design & Technology Association) website at http://www.data.org.uk/ or contact Mr Kevin Gough.