Year 9 Personal Development (PD)
Personal Development at Kirkby Stephen Grammar School incorporates the subject areas of Citizenship, PHSEE, RE and Work and Careers Education. Students are taught in mixed ability groups and receive 3 lessons per fortnight. The course builds over three years to equip the students with the necessary skills and knowledge to begin to play their roles as young adults in the community.
Year 9 Personal Development Curriculum
- The Media
- Environmental awareness
- CEIAG – Preparation for options and the world of work- CV writing, letters of application, personal skills & qualities recognition
- Sex and relationships education – body image, managing relationships, contraception, STIs and drugs and alcohol
- Beliefs & Values- Moral Issues
- Health and Wellbeing- including basic first aid and promoting mental health
- Introduction to Buddhism: Including The Life and teachings of buddah: The Four Noble truths, The Noble 8 Fold Path and Karma, temples and shrines - visit, Buddhist festivals and key celebrations
A formally assessed piece of work for each topic is marked on the 1-9 grade scale and students are given summative and formative feedback. In addition regular self-review, peer review and informal feedback from teachers occurs.
Contact for further information - Mrs Joanne Sutterby