Year 8 Personal Development (PD)
Personal Development at Kirkby Stephen Grammar School incorporates the subject areas of Citizenship, PHSEE, RE and Careers Education. Students are taught in mixed ability groups and receive two Citizenship lessons and one Issues Values and Beliefs (IVB) lesson per fortnight. The courses build over three years to equip the students with the necessary skills and knowledge to begin to play their roles as young adults in the community.
Year 8 Personal Development Curriculum
- British Values- What does it mean to be British?
- Diversity in the UK: Equalities Act and Human rights- challenging stereotypes and promoting anti-racism
- Crime and the Law
- Equalities Act and Human Rights
- National Politics and Political Families
Issues, Values and Beliefs
- Managing My Own Money
- Healthy Relationships
- Drugs and Alcohol Awareness
- Islam Project- which includes:
- The life of the Prophet Muhammad, The Five Pillars of Islam and The Qu’ran, at the Mosque, Islamic calligraphy and art
A formally assessed piece of work for each topic is marked on the 1-9 grade scale and students are given summative and formative feedback. In addition regular self-review, peer review and informal feedback from teachers occurs.
Contact for further information - Mrs Joanne Sutterby