Year 9 History
What will I study?
Topic 1 – The outbreak of World War 1
- An introduction to the countries of Europe in 1914
- The Alliance System
- The main causes of the First World War
- Short term triggers to the outbreak of the First World War
Topic 2 – The Government’s use of Propaganda
- Why did men sign up to fight?
Topic 3 – The experience of soldiers fighting on the Western Front
- What was it like fighting in Trench warfare?
- Focus on the Battle of The Somme
- Focus on Passchendaele
- Ways in which morale was kept high in the British army-revisionist views
Topic 4 – Why did the Allies win the First World War?
- Did tanks help break the stalemate?
- The reasons why the Allies won the War
Topic 5 – How far was Hitler responsible for the outbreak of World War II
- Was the Treaty of Versailles a Pease Treaty?
- Hitler’s aims in Europe
- Hitler’s actions 1933-1939
- In what ways were the Allies responsible for Wold War?
Topic 6 – How the Second World War was fought. How did the Allies win the Second World War?
- An overview of the fighting in World War II
- Dunkirk – Triumph or Disaster?
- The Battle of Britain
- Hitler’s failure to break morale during the Blitz
- The Dropping of the atomic bomb to end World War II
Topic 7 – How did the people of Britain cope with the bombing of British cities?
- The Home Front – How did people’s lives change?
Topic 8 – The Holocaust
- Reasons why Hitler persecuted groups in Nazi Germany
- The Steps to persecution
- The Final Solution
- Jewish resistance to persecution
Topic 9 – The Cold War
- Reasons why the Cold War started
- Division of Europe
- Berlin and the Berlin Wall
- Hot wars of the Cold War-Vietnam
- Cuban Missile Crisis
For more information please contact Rachel Steels Subject Leader for History.